On Washing Away The Stench Of Dear Deer Blood...

>>  Wednesday, June 4, 2014

My neighbors, not the vegan ones and not the ones who disliked my avocado tree (that has regrown like all get-out)... The ones who live right off the lake in a mini-mac from the 90's. The ones that hold a huge get together twice a year - Memorial Day being one of them. Mega-family travels down from the Carolina's, and I'm told a few of them "bring food" obtained through their "hobbies": Venison. 




Now as my good friend Andy L. rightly points out... The smell of cooked blood during these holidays can be overwhelming (read: disgusting). My neighborhood is no exception with the stench of cooked dear deer blood and all the other species from other neighbor's grills.

So what's a vegan to do? Well I could stay inside... But I love my yard and the outdoors calls to me!  And I have a wrap-around six-foot high fence that keeps my loved ones safe and maintains my privacy - Sadly it doesn't block out odors though. And as I look and ponder this fence, I notice it could use some sprucing up... There's nothing like the urgency of a (loud) pressure washer! Vroom!

But pressure washing can be a lot like raking - It's hard to know when to stop. First bushes must be hedged, the beds blown out... And while your at it... As long as the extension cords and hoses are completely unfurled, you might as well do the walkway, driveway, doors, windows, deck, garage floor, etc. etc. Now you get the idea. Yes?

This has all lead me to a week-long event of "playing in water", making lots of (annoying) sounds and best of all, my car has had to be parked right in view to road traffic... Maybe the clan of deer-killers got a good eye/ear full on their thee-day blood-cooking fest? One can only hope... 


So for those reading who might enjoy the smell of cooked blood of any species - Please consider your neighbors. Not only those who wretch at the smell... But your nonhuman neighbors who's lives are stolen for your bizarre and unkind habits. 

Me? I had portobellos on the grill with home made seitan - It was the best! ;)

6 comments :

proud womon June 5, 2014 at 3:32 AM  

i can empathise with you bea... the smell of barbecued flesh makes me want to vomit, and summertime is the worst time for outdoor 'entertaining'... i can only imagine the stench of barbecued nonhuman flesh mush be similar to the stench that came from the ovens of auschwitz...

however i do love your style with the pressure washing noise element!!! sounds like your place got a real cleanse!!!

David Ashton June 5, 2014 at 9:08 PM  

Funny how bacon continued to smell good for quite a while after I became vegan. Now it smells disgusting along with all the other burnt body part smells. That portobello article is terrific. Definitely putting some on the barbie this summer!

veganelder June 6, 2014 at 5:27 AM  

I'm going to avert my attention from the smell and divert it to the eye candy that is the back of your vehicle. That's terrific! Thank you for this. :-)

Bea Elliott June 9, 2014 at 8:09 PM  

Hi proud womon - In Florida it's summer year round... Hence the Auschwitz-stink goes non-stop. But it's the whole wide world that hasn't stepped much further than the cave-fires, sucking marrow from woolly mammoths.

Glad you approve of my strategy to combat the onslaught... Truth be told I was trying to clean the soul of our entire species. (sigh...)

Bea Elliott June 9, 2014 at 8:13 PM  

And so it is David just like cigarette smoke to a quitter... You don't realize how offensive the habit is till you fix on a better way. Bacon really does stink like death.

I wish you a hearty appetite for those portobellos! ;)

Bea Elliott June 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM  

Hi veganelder! Yeah - My car is the message that rides and parks with different reactions. Occasionally they'll be a hot head behind me in traffic about to "blow a gasket"! Then more frequently on better days, someone in a parking lot will open up a dialogue... Then the traveling vegan "propaganda" kit comes to the rescue. A few brochures and/or a video cd and I feel the hopeful promise that the world can/will change. I think you know what it's like too to live for these moments. All we can do is keep trying...

Many thanks for doing just that! ;)