An Unconventional Holiday Wrap-Up ... Vegan Style

>>  Sunday, February 2, 2014

Almost twenty-five years ago my husband and I bought our first home. We were w-a-y over-stretched financially with all the things we wanted to change/improve "immediately". So... We did what many other new-home owners do - We both worked two jobs. These grueling hours extended through all major holidays from Thanksgiving well past New Years... That didn't stop us from decorating the tree and house though. Even if no one was home to enjoy and celebrate the donning of festivities - Our new home had been decked out just the same.

And so it was that these jobs kept us from taking down the merry and the holly for a considerable amount of time afterwards. We joked that we could have kept the tree up and decorated it with Valentines decor... And the "green" would be perfectly suited for St. Patrick's Day too! But - The decorations managed to get boxed up by February 12th. Barely.  And so it happens every year since, that some stray Christmas memory lingers around... A card that comes late in the mail. A hidden, stray ornament... Even the persistent single strand of tinsel that escapes the vacuum cleaner till July makes wrapping up the holidays almost a year-round affair.

I'm not packing the Fa-La-La/Auld Lang Syne memories away just yet this time either. I've one more special gift to mention before I do. You see, I'm an extremely lucky person... As I've mentioned before my veterinarian is vegan (how cool is that?) and I also have the greatest fortune of having neighbors who are also vegan and wonderful bakers too!

On New Years Day we were given the most delicious Raw Vegan Cookie Dough Bites... And before long there were only three left so here's to putting away the last of the holiday cheer, this go-round.


Lastly, I'd love to say there was some influence from me that directed my neighbors to go Vegan Style... But nearly three years ago they came to me - Just like this: Vegan-aware and vegan-friendly. So who says things aren't changing for the better? Don't stop advocating. Don't stop telling speaking out... In ways you don't even realize, you're making a difference. It really is true that good people are listening! ;)

6 comments :

proud womon February 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM  

seems like you're spreading the seed of change everywhere - and being rewarded for it bea!!!!

veganelder February 3, 2014 at 3:54 AM  

Vegan vet? Vegan neighbors? That's terrific! How nice for you.

And thanks for stringing out the holidays...with all the buildup devoted to them is seems sort of strange not to string them out for awhile.

Happy Holidays to you! And yes, we all do contribute to making a difference. :-)

Anonymous February 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM  

I've been vegan for 25 years and consider it one of the best decisions of my life (my doctor agrees). I lost 25 ibs and have kept it off all these years!

Here's a video to help everyone understand why so many people are making this life affirming choice and why the number of vegans has doubled in the US in less than 3 years.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKr4HZ7ukSE

Also, here's a link for everyone who wants to join the revolution: 21-Day Vegan Kickstart http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/kickstart/kickstart-program

Bea Elliott February 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM  

Hi proud womon - I don't know that it's me. I honestly think that information has grown to a point where we'll start seeing some major shifts in thinking. Sure, there's still an over-abundance of bigots and thugs... But I think for the most part people want to do the right thing, once they know what it is. Living as an example and educating where/when we can is making a powerful dent in those numbers. If we all never give up - I'm certain a positive change awaits us all! ;)

Bea Elliott February 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM  

Thanks veganelder! I think the holidays are a lot like teens wishing for their adult years. Hurry, hurry, get here! Then somewhere in our 30's, 40's and 50's we're longing for time to just slow down a bit. Humans. We're never happy are we? :/

Yes it does seem like I've been given special dispensation in surviving an otherwise over-crowded carnist world. Maybe the deal is that there's more people out there who care than what we really know? I've come to see that there's a lot of closeted folks who because of career or family concerns, don't advocate as loudly as the rest of us. That's okay... It's fine to make a quiet difference too. Still waters... :)

Bea Elliott February 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM  

Hi Anonymous! 25 years! Oh my!!! Good on you and hooray for all who benefited from your wise decision!

Love the EVOLVE campaign. The "Why Vegan" is a favorite of mine. It clearly states what matters.

Thanks for the visit and for living as a positive example! ;)