16,500 CHICKS DIE IN A FIRE - THANK GOODNESS NO HUMANS WERE HARMED

>>  Wednesday, September 22, 2010

When I was a teen, my house caught fire. Everyone vacated except my mother who was trapped up stairs. When the fire was finally put out there were hand prints outlined in the charred walls... Many fixtures, the phone and everything plastic was a pile of noxious smoldering goo. The flames singed all the hair on her body... The flesh on her right arm was literally cooked to the bone trying to protect her face from the smoke. After she hid in a closet for a few minutes praying to die quickly... She got the courage to jump out the window to save her life.


Because even after all this - the pain and terror she still wished to live. That's what we animals do... We wish to live.


2 comments :

Jo Tyler October 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

What a remarkable and harrowing story, Bea. It's odd to me how those who have personally faced death and have endured suffering are not always necessarily those who are inclined to be more compassionate towards others. It was your mother, not you, who suffered through that fire. And yet, she cannot see the suffering, fear and death she is causing other animals -- while you can. Sad that those who have been affected by pain, suffering, slavery, violence, etc. are often not the first to recognize it's impact on others.

Bea Elliott October 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM  

Yes, that's an interesting observation Jo. I suppose it might have something to do with the fact that most people, after a traumatic event, resume their "normal" lives within 6 months. I think it has something to do with the safety of the known... It's secure.

That certainly wasn't the way I (or you) reacted once we experienced the shock and "trauma" of "food, meat and animal" reality... As for me, my life hasn't been the same since. :/

In any case... I am who and where I am because of what I was taught - The child learned well that causing needless suffering is wrong. Tragically wrong. And very sad. :(