Eating Turkeys and Children Who are for Animal Rights - My Vegan Thanksgiving

>>  Thursday, November 25, 2010

I didn't eat a vegan meal... But I know I was for Animal Rights 

I guess I was about 5 when this photo was taken... It's a very modest table setting - representing what a single mother could afford, made more special with a candle and a cake... I can't honestly remember back 50 years ago to what I was praying for then... I didn't have an understanding of war, or poverty or death. But what I do remember is what I thought of animals... I loved them! All of them! Whether their homes were in a barn, cave or tree. Animals were like me, and I was like them... We were helplessly small in a very big world.  But together, me and the animals would figure our way.

I was taught that their lives mattered and to be kind to them. I understood that hurting them was a bad thing to do... At five, and a scant 40 pounds I would have defended terrible monsters who might do harm to my animal friends. At five, I hadn't yet learned to "forget" or to rationalize; That it is wrong to cause unnecessary pain, suffering and death. At five, I lived my convictions for what merit they had... At five I was for "Animal Rights".

And at 55+ I am for Animal Rights anew! I've had decades to discover obscure truths about what is "natural" what's is "necessary", and what is fair.

No, I did not "mourn" for the turkey's stolen life at my meal then... Nor do I do so today.
To all who live thoughtfully - Happy ThanksLiving Day! Please Go Vegan

2 comments :

Anonymous December 7, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you

Anonymous December 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM  

Good evening

Great share, thanks for your time