Skateboarding Hero - Ed Templeton - His Vegan Story

>>  Friday, February 3, 2012

"Ed Templeton is one of skateboarding’s biggest icons and a name that has become synonymous with great skating and creativity. Compassion is another word that describes Ed, who has been an avid vegan for twenty years now, while also promoting cruelty free business practices through his sponsors and his own company, Toy Machine."

Ed says "I had some close friends that were becoming vegan. They would give me pamphlets on animal rights. They would take me out to dinner as long as I didn’t order meat. I resisted at first, but soon discovered that I also liked vegetables. I read the pamphlets, and that pushed me to do my own research. I read some books and tried to find out what was really happening in the meat and dairy industry. Once you read about how slaughterhouses are run, and how animals are treated I don’t understand how you could continue supporting them. To me, it was the same as a child learning the hard way that fire burns. Once you know, you don’t make the same mistake twice. Once I knew what was happening, I had to stop putting it in my body or supporting it with my money. Over the years, my reasons have shifted slightly. I still eat this way out of compassion for animals, but there is also a large dose of compassion for myself. I want to eat healthy and avoid many of the pitfalls that many Americans consistently fall into with their health."


Yeah... Thanks Ed! :)


Complete interview at One Green Planet

4 comments :

veganelder February 3, 2012 at 8:15 AM  

I second that...Thanks Ed!

And thank you for the information. :-)

CQ February 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM  

Good for Ed! Every interview done -- and shared -- helps.

Where oh where did you find that adorable skateboarding chick, Bea?

Harry February 4, 2012 at 3:52 AM  

And again: Yeah... Thanks Ed! :)

Bea Elliott February 24, 2012 at 5:56 AM  

Thanks all... Is it possible I delayed this long in a return comment? Yikes it is! But I have not neglected doing so because of eating chocolate bon-bons and polishing my nails... I assure you. I just get behind - cuz sometimes the world and the damning data in it often overwhelm my time - Forgive me please...

Thanks VE - I'm beginning to appreciate the messages that sports figures convey. Wish I had a nickle for every animal eating "body builder" who wants to discredit a plant based diet because it won't benefit their "intense" work-outs. Somehow I get the idea the most exercise some of them do is pound the keyboards - knocking down vegans. Oh well... Love having the power and endurance athletes prove them wrong!

Hi CQ - I think I found the chick image on a google search... Or maybe it was facebook? I admit to hoarding a certain portion of the web on my spare hard-drive... So where exactly something from years ago was found - I'd never be sure.

Thanks for the visit though! ;)

Hi Harry! Appreciate you taking the time to admire another hero! I'm certain we are building an unstoppable crew of good guys to make our message heard!