Don't Duck Your Part in Being Kind

>>  Friday, June 28, 2013

This video shows a duck family bravely crossing a highway. I dare you to watch it and not hold your breath a few times!


And in story books we can see similar events of nonhuman families just trying to negotiate the world of challenges we've put in their path:
From Make Way for Ducklings

Momma Mallard
And then there was this Dash Cam Video:


Now isn't it good to know that genuine kindness doesn't reside exclusively in story books? 


Coincidentally, just a few days ago a pair of young Mallards (or Wood Ducks ?) wandered close enough for me to watch them for a bit - Here's what I can share of that thrilling experience:



I suppose my simple message is: Please don't "duck" from doing your part to make a better world... Life is full of perils for all of us. We're all in the middle of some road, somewhere. If we can observe in a peaceful way as others make their journey or if we can help them when there's trouble - It's a good day for everyone.

6 comments :

Laloofah June 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM  

What a wonderful post! That first video of mama leading her babies across the freeway was heart-stopping - I think I held my breath the entire time, especially when I was sure that a-hole in the silver SUV had taken out several of the babies!! Poor little ones kept getting bowled over by the draft from the bigger vehicles - how scary that must have been for all of them! (I loved how mama huddled them on the white line after crossing the first lane as if to coach and/or encourage them!)

That police chase dash board video was so precious! Who else but the Portland PD would have their priorities straight when it comes to letting a speeder go to save a duck family. :-) Loved it! (Pinned it!) :-)

And your video of the ducks was such fun! Those aren't mallards, I'm pretty sure they're Wood Ducks, which look much more exotic and which we don't have around here, so this was a real treat! That sunset is a stunner too!

I love your last paragraph - beautiful words, and oh-so-true!

Anonymous June 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM  

I feel everything Laloofah feels, so I might as well just "ditto" her! The last graph is indeed a beautiful culmination of the message from the videos. I'd seen the first video earlier, so I didn't watch it this time, not wanting to scare myself all over again. :-)

veganelder June 29, 2013 at 5:01 AM  

You were spot on, that was a pretty sunset you were filming...and those ducks were scoping you out thoroughly weren't they? :-)

I'm with you, kindness is impossible to waste or to overuse. :-)

Bea Elliott July 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM  

Thank you Laloofah! You write a better comment than I do a post!

And I appreciate the clarification on the Wood Ducks... A bird by any other name is just as sweet though - Right?

Yes, we do have some spectacular sunsets... And who would know them better than you? Someday I'd love to have the time/energy to post photos of them and some gorgeous flowers too... In the meantime keep yours coming - They're a safe zone in an oft times darker web space... Thanks for that and for your visit! ;)

Bea Elliott July 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM  

No need to scare yourself twice Olivia... But then again - You miss the relief of a second happy ending!

Glad you like the message and that you're living it too!

Bea Elliott July 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM  

Hi veganelder - Yes, the ducks were indeed cautious of me. And rightfully so. We've had Muskogee ducks in this lake they become social due to getting handouts from park visitors. And then before you know it residents start complaining that they're "invasive pests". Several flocks have been "relocated" afterwards. Again the kindest rule might be to take only pictures.

I'm with you that the waste is in under-using kindness. Kindness: Apply liberally! ;)