Valentine's Day - A Time To Value What Is Precious...

>>  Monday, February 14, 2011

What is Precious?
I thought I was going to post next about butterflies; About how "Purpose" and "Performance" in creatures is (arrogantly) determined (by man)... But I found that before these words and meanings were interpreted, I'd have to first define what Preciousness means to me.  And what better time to do so than on Valentine's Day?

For me, the concepts behind "Valentine" and "Value" are interchangable.  They both mean "Love".  In the profound sense of Love... What a thing or an idea is truly "worth."  What treasure is so great that only each of us knows completely how deep and endless it really is?  This Love is indefinable... Transcendent. Immesurable.  Sacred and eternally cherished. 


I believe this most precious gift is our lives and the love each of us has of it. And this love is universally felt.  It is a boundless and constant truth that we all hold our own lives - Precious. It's in the make-up of all who have been born.  It is in the biolgical fabric of our personhood.  This infinite love (of our own lives) is in our beingness.  We all have a desire for our next breath... And for our next heart beat.  We all value that we are!



And this "value" that is experienced by each of us, is uniquely special, and completely one's own treasure.  One Precious Life is all and everything that one has.  One life is all each of us gets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This life and our right to it, is embedded in our genes and DNA - It is the total "good" of everything. And valued with such high worth, it is the core and root and essence of all that matters to us... And it matters to us all equally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The heart is the physical representation of that highest value that we all equally possess.   And we each are gifted with only one life... And only one heart.

It doesn't matter if it's a horse's heart, a goat's heart, a dog's heart, a human's heart, a pig's heart or a cow's heart.   Each heart has a right to beat for it's own sake.
So on this day of Value, I acknowledge that I share with all others, this one critically important interest: To have my heart... My highest Value; My life - continue.  I acknowledge that this Love of Life is of equal worth to all of us.  And I say, that no one's wants should ever override that Precious interest.  I say that no one has the right to make claim on an Other's only absolute Precious possession.  All who knowingly violate this truth, desecrate all that good and just and precious.  For all I am worth, I denounce their authority to do so.


It matters not to me, that all beings cannot understand (or articulate) these complex virtues and values. That's not important to me!  I know in every advantage of my reasoning, that we all share them.  And for me and my (one) BIG heart... That's enough!


As for others who have not yet done so, on this day of Love, I hope you will take seriously, to heart, what is and who is truly Precious... Compassion is a way to live that idea seriously.
Happy Value-time's Day!

6 comments :

veganelder February 14, 2011 at 5:08 AM  

Bea, absolutely the best Valentine post ever. Thank you for writing it, thank you for being you and thank you for reminding me that "every heart has the right to beat for its own sake". Wow.

Anonymous February 14, 2011 at 3:11 PM  

Yes, veganelder, it is the best, most beautiful--and heartfelt--Valentine's (Value) Day post I have ever read, too. Bea, you have the biggest, purest heart I have met in a long time, and I feel privileged to hear its beat.

This ode to the preciousness of life, felt by the heart of each who owns a life, reminds me that we all live in one Heart: the Heart of infinite Love, who made us all to do just that and only that: LOVE!

Krissa February 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM  

I found this post through Veganelder's blog. And I just want to say I like it very much. Thanks for all you do to speak up for our friends who can't speak up for themselves. This is a very special post.

Bea Elliott February 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM  

veganelder -Please know, as fact, how many times I've been enlightened by your profound views as well. Yeah... I've been "wowed" too! ;)

Thanks Anonymous! All living in one Heart of infinite Love- That's a beautiful thought!

...And Krissa - Hope you know - YOU are a very special person! <3

So I'm Thinking Of Going Vegan February 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM  

Lovely post Bea. I keep forgetting you have this blog as well! :)

Bea Elliott February 27, 2011 at 8:14 PM  

Thanks SITOGV - Obviously with my infrequency of posting and responding to comments I often forget I have this blog too... I suppose it's like that special kitchen gadget you almost forget you have, until you have a need for it. Once upon a Vegan was intended as a more personal spot for me in my animal awareness journey... Thanks for being a fellow traveler! <3