Going Five Animals More by Philip Wollen

>>  Sunday, September 23, 2012

This is an extract from Philip Wollen's recent conversation with World Peace Diet author Will Tuttle as part of the Veganpalooza celebration.

Going Five Animals More

Many years ago, as I traveled around the world I noticed the vast number of animal species that other people ate. 

And it dawned on me that here were literally thousands of animals I didn't eat. . . . . . dogs or cats, bears or bats, tigers or turtles, horses or hamsters, rosellas or rats.

Nor did I drink the milk of goats, yaks or donkeys, giraffes, or cats.

I decided to go only five animals more. . . . I simply added cows, sheep, pigs, chickens and fish to the list.

It was a breeze.

I didn't crave lamb any more than I craved lion; I didn't miss beef any more than I missed bandicoot. I didn't miss chicken any more than I missed chimpanzee. I didn't miss pork any more than I missed porcupine.

I replaced dead animals with an astounding variety of colorful, delicious and healthy plant foods.

The consequences for me were astonishing. I immediately felt better. It was instantaneous.

Today, I sleep peacefully and deeply. I now have boundless energy, more than people half my age.

My memory has improved rapidly. I remember what an unexamined life I had lived.

And I care more deeply:
For my family, my friends, my colleagues and associates.
For strangers I have never met.
For causes I have only heard about. 

For ideas. For the arts – music, poetry, theatre, literature, painting, the ballet. 

Everything of beauty seems to come alive. More vividly. More subtly. More completely.

I didn't know what I had been missing.

My greatest regret in life was that I did not do this earlier. 

What madness could infect us so profoundly that we justify the murder of weaker innocent living beings? 

Adding only five animals to an already huge list was the easiest (and wisest) thing I ever did.

Try it. You won't regret it. Not for a second.

The animals will thank you for it. 

The planet will thank you for it.

And the farmers, the taxpayers and your family will thank you too.

Good things will come to you. You can’t miss. You can’t fail.

You will have a rich life. It is inevitable.


8 comments :

Have Gone Vegan September 24, 2012 at 9:09 AM  

Just add 5 more animals to the list of thousands that you already don't eat. What a great way to sum up and introduce veganism to others! Great writing style too. Thanks for sharing this. :)

CQ September 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM  

So glad to be reminded of these fine words from fine Philip Wollen. I think I'll try out a few of his gems the next time I am invited to elaborate on why I don't eat animals.

Blogger Bea, could you tell us OUAV readers why Wollen said that "the farmers . . . will thank you too"? Elsewhere in the interview, he explained that bold statement, as I recall. (Or maybe it was in his speech during the debate in Australia that's since gone viral on YouTube.)

veganelder September 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM  

It's really pretty simple when you consider it. :-)

Bea Elliott October 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM  

Yeah - I think it's a pretty cool POV too. Simplifies everything. Glad you like it Have Gone Vegan! ;)

Bea Elliott October 4, 2012 at 6:47 AM  

Hi CQ - I can't find exactly where Mr. Wollen lists the many advantages for farmers if they stop growing animals. But my feeling is that those reasons would range from the practical end of having less complicated business practices. Less issues with volatile variables that "livestock" creates. Their own health would be better without the threat of zoonotic diseases... And finally - Most certainly - Their spiritual and emotional health would only benefit from growing good, life sustaining nutrition for folks. (imho)

As always - Thanks for your comment! :)

Bea Elliott October 4, 2012 at 6:50 AM  

Yes veganelder - I think Mr. Wollen is a brilliant man who can reduce very complex ideas into useful nutshells. That sure is what he did in his own life - And if finding happiness for a millionaire was by way of simplifying things - Why wouldn't it work for the rest of the world? ;)

Appreciate your visit! xox

Anonymous October 23, 2014 at 5:26 AM  

Wollen, you are my hero and inspiration. I have been lucky to have discovered all this years ago, but I have battled against so much hatred towards me because of it, and for me it is so freeing to know you speak up. I and many others are with you. For the animals.



Anonymous October 27, 2014 at 4:34 AM  

I try to make this same message so simple when talking to others about changing to veganism... I ask the question: "How hard is it really to just find something else to eat?"