A Long-Lasting Goodbye To My Teco

>>  Wednesday, October 2, 2013



In May I wrote about our dear Teco. Since then she has been diagnosed with cancer. The months we had hoped for have now passed into the inevitable days and hours to come. We've tried to make her as comfortable as possible as endless time will soon reclaim the body she is now trapped in. It was never a suitable place for such a perfect being as she is anyway.


Because such an illness is a slow one to culminate - We've been able to say our goodbyes many times over and over. This is a mixed blessing as you can imagine. But I wanted to remember her this way... Still alive, still aware and here in her physical presence. She still purrs in the pleasure of our human touch and that's the way I want her memory to remain by way of this living memorial post.  
*****
Teco is and will always be the light and joy of my heart. If I could recall just a few of the things I'll treasure most, they'd be remembering her suckling habit that she kept well into her adult years... Her tolerance when we introduced new members to the family like Tucker...  

And most recently a little black kitty we named Oz. Poor guy, he will be denied the benefit of big-sister-cat-lessons, play and all the love that Teco surely would have given to him under different circumstances.




I'll miss the loving way she'd groom and nap with her big-dog-brother Backus. Teco was never a miser with affection... And she was never a speciesist.



I'll miss her scampering foot patters down the hall in the morning as she announced to the house another fun day has begun! I'll miss her soft purrs at night resting in the folds of the sheets. ...
And her comical stick out tongue. 


For everything in between she is and will always be a most ideal individual.  She's been a pleasant distraction as I've tried to navigate around an often hostile world... 



No matter what shade of blue, green or teal her eyes decided to shine in, there was always love looking back from them. She even treated the small lizards and frogs she caught in a soft manner. I don't think she's ever harmed a single one of them... I know so few humans that carry themselves with such gentleness and dignity as she.



I'll miss her tolerance and patience. Her curiosity. Her quiet intelligence that reminds me always to value the moment, because really... Among good friends, that's the only important thing.

She is the best. A companion and a teacher. I will never stop missing her or ever stop being grateful for the  joy she's brought into my world. When her final time comes:  I'll miss this feline girl-friend of mine to an unbearable degree... I thank you Dear Teco for being you and for letting us share the wonderful preciousness of your life. For us, sweet one, there never will be a last goodbye.  


8 comments :

David Ashton October 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM  

What beautiful lessons. Thanks for sharing this, Bea, my heart goes out to all of you.

Olivia October 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM  

Teco is your "gentle beam of living Love, and deathless Life," isn't she?

I love that you are celebrating her in this way, Bea, with photos and a description of all the special ways she has been "the best" -- your companion and teacher, your joy and your blessing.

I hadn't received this blog post when I sent a little love note to you and Teco via email earlier this morning. I hope you can find her face and form in one of the many kitties displayed in the photo, since I didn't have one of her for real.

I love your last line: "there never will be a last goodbye." It says to me that there will always be a new hello! Every morning when you wake up and every night when you lay your head on the pillow, and many moments in between, you will see Teco's charming qualities so vividly, you'll think she's still with you. You'll know she is forever one with you.

Bless you both, Bea and Teco.

Bea Elliott October 3, 2013 at 9:54 AM  

Thank you David. It certainly has been a roller-coaster between the good days and not so good ones. But I fully intend to cherish the ones that remain. Your kind words are a comfort and much appreciated.

Bea Elliott October 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM  

Thank you Olivia - For recognizing how very special this friend's life is to me. So much so, that even death won't mar or destroy it. In this way I've come to understand that Love really is forever.

I appreciate your kind note as well... And do I see her reflected in those other kitty faces and forms? In every one of them. Her sparkle for me, is wherever innocence and peace is found.

Thank you for your caring ways. <3

Bea Elliott October 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM  

No words needed to remind me that you care... I'm always certain of that - And always grateful that you do.
veganelder - Thank you. <3

Anonymous November 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM  

So sorry. It is so hard to lose a companion animal. That's a nice tribute you wrote.

Bea Elliott November 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM  

Thank you lane725 - I'm sorry for the loss of your beautiful Bandit too. These little lives certainly penetrate our minds and hearts profoundly - And eternally. We were quite fortunate to have these marvelous beings grace our lives. Thanks for your thoughtful comment.