Easter Bunnies For Sale! Down The Rabbit Hole Of Bad Ideas...

>>  Monday, April 14, 2014

IN MY CAGE

by Mary Brandolino

It was colorful and fun
The new life that I'd begun
In my new cage.

I was just a little thing
When they brought me from the store
And they put me on the floor
In my cage.

They would take me out to play
Love and pet me all the time
Then at day's end I would climb
In my cage.

But as days and weeks went by
I saw less of them it seemed
Of their loving touch I dreamed
In my cage.

In the night outside their house
I felt sad and so neglected
Often scared and unprotected
In my cage.

In the dry or rainy weather
Sometimes hotter sometimes colder
I just sat there growing older
In my cage.

The cat and dog raced by me
Playing with each other only
While I sat there feeling lonely
In my cage.

Upon the fresh green grass
Children skipped and laughed all day 
I could only watch them play
From my cage.

They used to take me out
And let me scamper in the sun
I no longer get to run
In my cage.

Once a cute and cuddly bunny
Like a little ball of cotton
Now I'm grown up and forgotten
In my cage.

I don't know what went wrong
At the home I did inhabit
I just grew to be a rabbit
In my cage.

But they've brought me to the pound
I was once loved and enjoyed
Now I wait to be destroyed
In my cage

Now that's a sad ending isn't it? You too can speak up about why it's such a bad idea to purchase rabbits (or chicks) for children by hopping over to this post at the VeganElder blogspot. 

Or you can copy the letter below that was written by my vet Mitsie Vargas:


Around Easter, many pet stores stock up on hot items including live chicks and rabbits.  These animals are often given to young children as presents. After Easter the number of relinquished rabbits and chicks overwhelms many shelters. The current proposed bill will result in extremely young and delicate chicks, ducks and bunnies being sold as Easter gifts. These fragile beings will also be dyed further inflicting unnecessary distress in these animals. The dyed appearance will cause them to be objectified and treated as toys, not as living beings.


Many folks think rabbits and chicks are low maintenance pets that only require a small cage and little attention. The truth is, they have special dietary and housing requirements.  Rabbits need a balanced diet of pellets, fresh lettuce and other vegetables, and grass hays.  They also require daily exercise and space enough to perform 3 consecutive hops in a cage.  Chicks grow into chickens. They are omnivores but should be fed commercial chicken feed. They need roaming space outdoors. Roosters when they hit sexual maturity, have the potential to become aggressive.  That small Easter gift of a bunny or chick can also pose a health hazard to your kids or end up victimized by young children. Young kids tend to be rougher and not understand that rabbits can easily break their backs when handled.  Plus rabbits have long toenails that leave deep scratches especially if handled improperly. On the other hand, chicks can carry salmonella and E. coli that may cause serious diarrhea and possible death to young children. 


Rabbits are the third most relinquished pets to animal shelters, which are usually equipped to handle only a few rabbits and rodents at a time. Most end up being euthanized.  Rabbits and chickens that do not make it to a shelter are often released to the wild to fend for themselves and those that do not starve to death, become easy prey for predators in the wild. 

 
This Easter season share in God's goodness and honor his creations by refusing to buy, give or accept live bunnies and chicks. Chocolate ones are delicious and do not result in any harm.  



I can add another reason why most rabbits (and other delicate creatures) do poorly with most kids... 

We all love the idyllic image of children with soft, devoted caresses lavished to their bunnies...



But let's face it... Most of the time kids would much rather play with their electronic gizmos and video games, and then the tearful poem is recited again. :'(

So instead of buying a bunny why not let your kids "assemble" one of many right here: Bunny Puzzles

Like the video says: Please treat the lives of others gently and respectfully. Go Vegan.


"Hopping" you have a very friendly Easter. ;)



2 comments :

veganelder April 15, 2014 at 3:49 AM  

On behalf of all the lives that might suffer less because of this post...thank you.

Enjoy your holiday Ms. Bea...so say the bunnies and me too. :-)

Bea Elliott April 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM  

And I immensely appreciate all you do in bettering the world!

So many forget what is truly sacred... You're a cherished friend and comrade for reminding us all of what is. (Your positive influence means more than you could know). <3

Chick-peeps and bunny-cheers to you too! :D